Methodist Property Consents Website


TMCP works alongside the Managing Trustees using this website which has been developed and implemented by the Connexional Team.

Useful Information

In accordance with Standing Order 930 the following projects require logging on the Methodist Property Consents website:

  • Sales
  • Purchases
  • Leases
  • Deeds of Easement
  • Sharing Agreements
  • Building works including structural repair, alterations, demolition etc..
  • Work that materially alters the interior or exterior of a Listed Building and affects the character of the building as a building of special architectural or historic interest (this could include buildings which sit within the curtilage of or are fixed to the Listed Building)
  • Work that materially alters the exterior of a building in a Conservation Area

If you are unsure as to whether you need to log a project speak to your District Property Secretary, in particular in relation to building work projects, as your own District might have certain criteria and guidance as to what constitutes building works. 

The Property Consents website provides step by step help and guidance on logging projects.

Although a project may have Final Consent this does not exempt the managing trustees from complying with the requirements as to form or procedure imposed by law or TMCP or arising under Standing Orders or the Model Trusts. It is part of TMCP’s role to ensure these requirements are met.

It is therefore important to remember that in addition to your project needing Final Consent on the Property Consents website, approval of TMCP is also required to sales, purchases, leases, deeds of easement and ecumenical projects.

Technical Assistance

If you encounter difficulty using the Property Consents website, for example, if you do not have the correct permissions or if you have any technical problems when logging a project please contact the Connexional Team’s Web Applications Team.

Replacement Projects

You may wish for a project to be designated a Replacement Project under Standing Order 973.  You can request that one project i.e. the purchase of a Manse, is designated a replacement project for another project i.e. the sale of a Manse, via the Property Consents website. TMCP do not make decisions on what constitutes a Replacement Project, under Standing Orders this responsibility lies with the Methodist Council who has delegated the responsibility to the Conference Officer for Legal and Constitutional Practice.

If you have any queries regarding Replacement Projects it is important to address them at the outset of a project, if possible, to prevent any funding delays.  Although TMCP do not make the decision as to what constitutes a Replacement Project we have produced a guidance note which will assist managing trustees and this can be found here.

The Connexional Grants Committee have produced guidance on replacement projects.

Listed Buildings/Conservation Area

If your property is a Listed Building or in a Conservation Area you will have to notify the Connexional Conservation  Officer of all works, no matter how minor, irrespective of whether a project needs to be logged on the Property Consents website.  If you have a query due to your property being a Listed Building or in a Conservation Area, or are unsure as the listed or conservation status of your property please contact the Connexional Conservation Officer.

Useful information can also be found on the Conservation section of the Methodist Church website.

Sharing Agreements

You may wish to share your building with, or share the building of, another Christian Denomination.  If so a Sharing Agreement will have to be entered into. If you are going to share a property which is not owned by the Methodist Church you need to ensure a new property record is created on the Property Consents website when logging a Sharing Agreement project.  TMCP approve Sharing Agreements on behalf of the Connexion and provide guidance to the managing trustees. TMCP liaise closely with the Connexional Ecumenical Officer.

Payment Requests

If you have a project logged on the property consents website and funds held by TMCP are being used for the project, you will need to request payments via the Payments tab on the relevant project. For information regarding making a payment request please see Consents Payments.

Please note that this web page is for general information purposes only. Neither TMCP nor its legal officers accept any responsibility for use of this web page or action taken as a result of information provided by TMCP in this web page. Managing Trustees need to take specific advice when dealing with specific situations. This web page is general in nature, may not reflect all recent legal developments and may not apply to the specific facts and circumstances of any particular transaction. TMCP does not represent or advise Managing Trustees in any matter. Nothing in the documents and guidance notes provided by TMCP’s legal officers nor any receipt or use of such information, shall be construed or relied on as advertising or soliciting to provide any legal services, creating any solicitor-client relationship or providing any legal representation, advice or opinion whatsoever on behalf of TMCP or TMCP’s legal officers.

This web page is not legal advice and is no substitute for such advice from the Managing Trustees own legal adviser.